Tick Tips from a Local

Copied from Facebook

Hey everyone.

This gathering is literally in my backyard.

Like I can walk to it through woods. I know this place real well. You need to bring permethrin for your clothes and a old cotton sheet that you can tie to a stick like a flag and sweep grasses around tent and on paths for tics they cling to cotton then kill them. This is deer tic heaven and lymes is probably your biggest concern In these woods. They are everywhere. Tic check daily do not miss a day. Always be watching everyone else too. It is very serious. I’ve lived most of my life here and haven’t contracted it yet but have treated for it a few times just in case. I just had one imbedded this morning from 5 minutes in the woods yesterday. If they remain on you for 30 hours you need to go get a dose of antibiotics antibiotics are effective within first two weeks after infection. If you wait they become ineffective quickly. So many people around here have lymes disease. 


You can buy pemethrin anywhere but if you go to an agricultural store they have it in concentrate and ten bucks worth will make ten gallons of spray and it last a month on the clothes you treat and it works they die when they get on your clothes. Also do not wear clothing til it has dried after spraying it causes nerve problems. This tic and mosquito repellant is made from marigold plants. They haven’t been to bad yet this year. This was my first one this year. But that means the hatch has started. I tell you this because I love you! 


******************

Also,please print out some of these handy flyers on Ticks and bring them to the gathering to share with others. Post them in your camp.

CDC FactSheet
CDC Brochure
Kid Friendly Flyer

Comments

  1. great info..Lyme Disease is Serious! A close friend of mine has been suffering with it for 6+
    years.!!! All Family Please do tick checks daily!!!! I will be bringing a couple of gallons of organic
    plant based concentrate as well (herbs and oils). Bring Lemon balm essential oil, tea tree, lavender,
    and mints. do not apply any repellents to the face or near the eyes, mouth or ears.. see yall soon
    and of course lovin yooooouuuu!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you family be safe this year I wish we could make it! I have an Earthship property in New Mexico outside of Albuquerque if you're ever interested to come and kick it blow glass/ build a structure. You can call me at 970-889-7921 or hit me up on Instagram at prodotbiggins.
    Love you all. Dizzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you family be safe this year I wish we could make it! I have an Earthship property in New Mexico outside of Albuquerque if you're ever interested to come and kick it blow glass/ build a structure. You can call me at 970-889-7921 or hit me up on Instagram at prodotbiggins.
    Love you all. Dizzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's "Lyme" not "Lyme's" and they're Ticks not "tics". And many people will indeed contract Lyme disease. I've been in the area for about 50 years and have contracted it. The ticks are so small that most people miss them. I did, and I check myself everywhere several times per day. My family and friends have all had Lyme. "Natural" oils and whatever are completely ineffective.

    All you can do is look for the bite, the "bullseye" rash. The earth is getting back at us, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I look forward to comments that avoid racist, sexist, homophobic, and/or other 'ism' language that does not advocate violence.

Popular posts from this blog

Getting into the gathering without getting a mandatory court appearance ticket

The First-Timer’s Practical Guide to the Rainbow Gathering (Guest Post)

Where Do I Poop?