A Heart Shaped Meadow and Other Magic


This year, we had a heart shaped meadow and many rainbows. Most of the people I met at the gathering were kind, loving people who were there to experience magic, healing, create love, and participate in a beautiful and mellow gathering.

I met many people from the Midwest who came home for the first time or the first time in a long time.  Welcome home to all the new faces and those whom we haven't seen in awhile.

The gathering took place at the site of a former hunting lodge and deer ranch that was purchased (or given) to the United States Forest Service about 15 years ago.   I found leftover irrigation pipe scattered around the gathering. Despite the rumor mill, I learned that the Forest Management Plan for the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest is currently being updated and the process will last three to four years. There will be opportunities for public comment. Until the plan is completed and approved, no logging should occur at the site of this year's gathering as there is no management plan covering this site. While it's possible that logging this area may be included in the plan, it's also possible that with enough public involvement, this area will be protected for wildlife, recreation, and other uses. If you are interested in being involved, call the Washburn Ranger District offices 715-373-2667.

The prayer/meditation on July 4th was beautiful. We used a bit over half the meadow for the circle, om'ed while the kids entered the circle, and then for quite awhile afterwards. Since the weather in this area was either brutally hot and humid when it wasn't raining, we were lucky to have overcast skies and drizzle to keep people from overheating during the silence, the om, and the dancing/drumming afterwards. This year main supply did not buy watermelon or any other fruit for the circle. Depending on whose numbers you believe we had somewhere between the low three thousands (many gatherers I spoke with) or the low five thousands (what the Forest Service put in their daily updates).

The Theme of My Gathering


For me personally, this gathering was all about dealing with behavior that will no longer be tolerated and trying to educate gatherers about the culture shift that is happening.  My feeling is that you can either educate yourself about the changes women, non-binary folks, and LGTBQ people are demanding or you can blunder along and be one of the folks we are outing. I do not say this as a threat, but more as a reality.  Just like our culture no longer accepts that a man has a right to beat his wife and children, we no longer accept that a anyone has a right to touch someone or share mind altering substances without their consent. I would also point out that some of this family is in their 50s, 60s, and beyond. When you were 20-something, flirting with a 20-something may have been ok, but as a 50+ person, flirting with a 20-something person is just being creepy. Please do not do it.

I welcome this culture shift greatly. While a person could write a doctoral dissertation on what is changing, in a nut shell the #metoo, #blacklivesmatter, Consent Culture, and LGTBQ rights movements are alive and well at the gathering.

I'm putting folks on warning, no more excuses for "boys will be boys."   Many of us are holding everyone accountable for their behavior past and present.   I tried having conversations with many older white, straight, cisgender men and most of them argued with me. That is not helpful for you and the fact that you were not willing to listen to me proves the point. The rules of the game have changed and I'm taking the time to try to explain the new rules to you.  I want to bring everyone along with the culture shift we are experiencing if you are willing to make the journey and do the hard work of challenging yourself and your assumptions. It ain't easy folks, but just as the Civil Rights and Second Wave Feminist movements ushered in new cultures, so to in this era we are in ushering in new cultures.

How did I learn and grow at this gathering?  I sat in council for days with people discussing different perspectives. I had one-on-one discussions with people. And no, just cause you're younger, doesn't mean you get it. And no, just because I support the new paradigm, doesn't mean I'm not making mistakes.   But I am trying to absorb the new culture. It's a culture I've been hoping for since the 1990s. Change is hard. It's easier to keep doing what you were doing, but people honestly trying to change and who are willing to OWN UP to their mistakes are what we need. Let's take the journey hand-in-hand and help each other identify our mistakes and make better choices in the future. Together, as a family we can do this. I hope all of you are up for change because its long overdue.

We also need a cultural shift around drug use at the gathering. My motto is "don't share your drugs unless you're willing to share yourself."  Blindly sharing mind altering substances with people who want them does not benefit anyone. But taking the time to get to know people changes everything. If you share mind-altering substances, share yourself for the duration. Creating community is what matters and we do that by doing things together. Also, sharing some types of substances shares germs. Just a friendly FYI.

However, I want to remind everyone that this is a peace and healing gathering. None of us are perfect. I hope that with proper guidance and speaking with people privately when their behavior moves into the gray area, we can spend more time helping our family grow and heal and less time walking them out of the gathering. Of course that means that we need to take responsibility to talk to people immediately when we see inappropriate behavior. It means that when someone talks to us about our behavior we need to be open to understanding someone else's perspective and reflect seriously on what is being said.  It means that if you were a topic of discussion in a Shanti Sena council/counsel/circle at this gathering, you need to think long and hard about your behavior and the behavior of those around you. Hear what the people who were complaining are saying.

I would also like to ask people who have concerns about someone to show some patience. Some of the actions taken by individuals at this year's gathering actually prevented their desired outcome. Things at a gathering don't always work in a linear manner. Things can work in strange and convoluted ways and sometimes that takes time. If people believe someone is an immediate threat, then the person can be shadowed while the energy unfolds. Shadowing someone can be done quietly, non-intrusively, while still insuring that no further harm will be committed. Keeping three people following someone 20 - 30 feet away protects the family but does not disrupt the unfolding energy that is at work to handle the situation.


I identified a task that I did not get to complete at the gathering, but it's an important one. I think our Rap 151 - Brother Sister Rap is outdated. It's at least 35 years old, maybe older. I propose we rewrite Rap 151 to more accurately reflect the times.

If I were doing it, I would do something like this, but I hope we collectively tackle this problem. Many people want to be appropriate but aren't sure how. 

~~~ Rap 121 - Sexuality ~~~

Respect each other and help create a safe place for everyone.
Trust yourselves and your instincts
Nudity is natural, and not a sexual invitation.
Ask before hugging or touching anyone
Consent is given when verbally asked for and a response of “yes” is provided.
Consent can be revoked.
Absence of consent or dissent is not a green light.
People who are under the influence or underage cannot give consent.

This is a society based on love and respect.
We’re here for a spiritual purpose; respect each other and do no harm.
Gender and sexuality focused circles offer support and understanding for heteronormative, LGTBQ+, and non-binary gendered family.
Love happens – protect yourself and your partner from disease and unintended pregnancy.

We are all Shanti Sena – Peace Keepers

~~~  ~~~

On Technology

Another document that needs updating is the Mini Manual of Gathering Consciousness, specifically the section on technology.  Specifically, I think including cell phone use should be added. Personally, I would prefer we treat it like alcohol, i.e. what you do in your tent is your business, but I would love people who feel phones are important to help us update this section to find a balance. I'm wondering if perhaps the Mini Manual could be added to the Always Free if there will be no Rainbow Guide in 2020?

The Shout Outs

The folks working the Front Gate (the function) were kicking it every time I went by. The parking scene pretty much was self-serve and working very well, except for the people who took down no-parking signs at marshy points causing people to get their rigs stuck in the mud. When you take down the signs, you are only harming your family as they get stuck or towed.  Please leave the no-parking signs alone.

Nick @ Nite has really come into their own in terms of Shanti Sena. I had the pleasure of being part of a few Shanti Sena movies they were a part of and I totally appreciated their mellow, calm, focused presence while addressing problems and situations. I also appreciate the many trickster style moves that happened to help keep the peace.  Great work!

I love that younger family are expressing an interest in plugging into C.A.L.M. and bringing diverse perspectives. The folks who have been holding down C.A.L.M. have been doing an amazing job. I especially want to thank the long-time and experienced C.A.L.M. folks who took the time to council on July 8 and discuss issues. I really appreciate the new perspectives that were brought to that council. I look forward to seeing how the a C.A.L.M. with more folks of all ages plugging in works out in 2020.


I saw a lot of new faces at the town hall meeting, at Bowling with the Locals, at discussions with the Forest Service, doing cop walks, and addressing gathering wide issues!  Way to go family!  The more voices and faces that step up, the better everything goes. After all, any one style of communication does not click with everyone. When we share our diversity, we reach more people!

I was reminded of a truth I knew but somehow forgot: when we hold counsel/council/circle, it changes the energy of the entire gathering. I experienced this on July 3rd when a beautiful sibling called a breakfast circle and then we counciled afterwards. I felt the energy shift for the better. Following that we had a memorial for Bajer in Main Meadow and that also helped to ground the energy. For me, the gathering is more than individuals gathered, we are creating a temporary autonomous community and there are tasks that individuals need to do with each other for the better of the community.  I believe that when we act as a community, then we learn how to practice the art of peace.

Last but not least, water was a huge success. We had plentiful filtered water at many locations. I am writing a separate blog post related to water, as the lessons learned this year are very important.  But just an fyi, folks dealing with water rocked it using a lot of solar panels and lots of ingenuity.

Comments

  1. Dear Karen, first off all, thank you for all that you do. I've been reading almost everything you've written since 2015, after my brother was murdered, as he was a rainbow kid as well. It took me 14yrs to find the strength of mind and spirit to join his presence at a gathering. Without your knowledge, I would've been utterly lost. I didn't have a clue what blissware was, let alone so many other important aspects of rainbow culture and views. I finally laid his ashes to rest in the place where he was always meant to be, with his rainbow family. I found this year's gathering to be beautiful, gentle, spiritual and just extremely healing. My heart was at peace. The ohm on the 4th might've been the most powerful thing I've ever experienced. I'm so happy I made it and I want to scream from a mountain top to my beautiful, little brother..."I FINALLY GET IT!"
    But, without your info, I wouldn't have felt confident enough to jump into the unknown. So, again, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback. Knowing that the blog has this type of impact on people's lives is worth more than a truck load of gold. I am so glad you had a wonderful time.

      Delete
  2. This is an awesome piece and thank you for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my first attendance and I have to say, it really did feel like coming home.
    Everyone was so friendly and I wish I would have gotten there sooner and stayed longer. I forgot my cup but people helped me get water, as I was overheating.
    The feeling of love and acceptance was so profound and beautiful.
    People helping others, kids running around and laughing, dogs playing, music rejoicing.
    Everything I value deeply.
    I hope this gathering continues for a long time, especially as the world needs healing now more than ever. The positive energy from the gathering lasted with me for days afterwards.
    This was also my fiance's first gathering and even though he's more reserved than myself, he enjoyed it.
    He couldn't believe how friendly and open people were towards us.
    I told him gently... this is how it always should be.

    Loving you...
    ~ MissiKat Waterslight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100% with what you wrote. Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I look forward to comments that avoid racist, sexist, homophobic, and/or other 'ism' language that does not advocate violence.

Popular posts from this blog

Getting into the gathering without getting a mandatory court appearance ticket

The First-Timer’s Practical Guide to the Rainbow Gathering (Guest Post)

Where Do I Poop?